Mike Tyson and Jake Paul were NOT drug tested before controversial fight
Mike Tyson and Jake Paul were sensationally NOT drug tested before their controversial heavyweight showdown back in November, Mirror Fighting can reveal.
Tyson, 58, retired from the sport back in 2005 after losing to Kevin McBride. He did, however, return to the ring back in 2020, taking on fellow boxing legend Roy Jones Jr in an exhibition bout. Whilst many assumed that it would be a one off for the former heavyweight world champion, the boxing community were left stunned when he announced his return to the professional ring last year.
Both Paul and Tyson were supposed to go head-to-head back in July, but the dust-up was postponed after ‘Iron Mike’ suffered an ulcer flare-up on a flight. The clash between the pair was eventually moved to November 15. The boxing veteran uploaded several training clips ahead of the bout that had fans convinced he’d be able to roll back the years on fight night.
However, Tyson’s age showed and he was unable to pull off a monumental upset. Despite failing to get the knockout, Paul would go on to cruise to a unanimous decision victory. In doing so, he extended his professional boxing record to 11-1. That said, nearly three months on from the fight, it has emerged that the pair were not drug test ahead of the outing.
A spokesperson for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation told Mirror Fighting: βThere was no drug test on either one. Combative Sports sends of for a randomisation, neither one was chosen for a drug test.” The statement from the TDLR completely contradict Paul’s comments last year.
It was expected that the two boxing stars would be subjected to drug testing before they touched gloves. Ahead of November’s clash, ‘The Problem Child’ revealed there’d be a ‘big drugs test.’ The 28-year-old appeared on the Suga Sean O’Malley podcast in November and clarified the drug-test rules for the fight. O’Malley’s coach, Tim Welch said: “They’ve got to let Mike use some special supplements, a little bit. I mean 58-years-old. Having the lifestyle that he’s had, his natural testosterone can’t be that high, so hopefully he’s able to get boosted up a little bit.”
Replying to the comments, the social media sensation said: “Well, there’s like a big, panel, drugs test from the Texas State Commission.” Welch then joked: “So his testosterone can’t be 16,000 like Alistair Overeem that one time,” with Paul replying: “No, I don’t think so.”
Many feared for Tyson’s health in the build-up, and the boxing icon himself admitted he was worried he would be sued if he pulled out of the fight for a second time. In a recent interview with Fox Nation, Tyson revealed the exact reason as to why he didn’t withdraw from the clash. “I haven’t thought about that [if it weakened him]. I was worried about getting sued, you know, because I was like, God, they’re going to sue me if I don’t do this fight,” he said.